curlBOX

Kicking Off 2013: Walk A Day In My Shoes

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

How long are people allowed to say that?  I think this is the last week I’m going to be wishing people a HAPPY NEW YEAR but I think it’s totally fine here since I haven’t blogged since September.  I just went back and read that post and WOW.  It’s great to document feelings because you can go back and see how much you’ve grown (changed).

Shortly after that post, I decided to seek psychotherapy.  There was only so much a friend or family member could offer when it came to the complexity of my feelings – simply put, they weren’t qualified to assist me.  I read all of the comments and many were “keep your head up” and others were to “grow up” (which I completely understood).  It’s easy to suggest how someone should handle feelings that you’ve never experienced before.

You see … The thing about seemingly rapid success is that while it publicly highlights your strengths, it also publicly highlights your flaws.  I had to deal with that.  I wanted to deal with it.  I came to some really interesting conclusions and I will tell you that I am MUCH better.  I always tell my friends that you will think that you know how you will act in a situation until it happens and everything you thought you would do flies out of the window.  Watching videos or reading posts with people saying things that are completely untrue about you (for entertainment I suppose) can kick you in the gut every now and then.  Don’t ever let anyone make you think that they are exempt from feeling that … Ever.  When you set out to destroy someone’s spirit, sometimes it works and other times it makes them even stronger.

I said all of that to say … I’m GOOD!

It’s 2013 and what better time to say … ONWARD!

I’m really excited about this year.  We’re turning 1 next month!  Can you believe it?  We’ve been at it for a year and it’s been an amazing journey.  I’m ready to turn up the creativity and bring even more of the fun ideas I have for this brand to the table.  We’re all growing and learning together and I couldn’t be more enthused to do it right here with you!

People keep asking me what I have planned for 2013 … What’s my next BIG thing?  My next big thing is taking better care of me.  We give to friends, family, work and so on and push and push and push and then one day you realize your internal ATM is overdrawn and you have one of those moments I had last year.  I’m working to avoid that this year.  It’s OK to pour a little bit more into myself and not with things but experiences.  I’m going to be better at nurturing my current friendships.  I’m going to spend time with my friends and family with my phone on silent and IN my purse (and not go to check it every 2 minutes).  I’m going to get out of the house a little bit more (my friend told me last night that people thought I moved away from Atlanta *lol*).  I’m going to talk a little bit longer with you when I meet you at events or in public.  I’m going to do away with my fear of happiness and be vulnerable … And while consistently making these deposits, my hope is to never get overdrawn like that again.

Happy New Year!

Myleik

Share:

Facebook This Tweet This Pin This Email This

curlCOMMENTS

on January 7, 2013 Tonya said:

Happy New Year! Thank you for all that you do. As a curlBox subscriber, fellow human and person who also seeks out help through a clinician, I admire your honesty because many in the black community would not have admitted that we can’t always ‘keep our head up’. You are brave, and I too struggle with balance so I applaud you for focusing on yourself in 2013! It will be one of your best investments!

on January 7, 2013 LetaF said:

Happy New Year! Glad you are in a better space. I enjoy Curlbox IG but the blog is poppin’!! I certainly should’ve checked it out sooner. I love what you and the team have put together. We [women of color] need more leaders and innovators like you to step up and flex on the world. I wish you nothing but prosperity and longevity. It may be hard to swallow the negativity but without it, you wouldn’t really notice how much of an impact you are making. I’m happy that we get to share in all aspects of your human nature. Keep doing your thing!

on January 7, 2013 Ayanna said:

Myleik, I just wanted to say that I appreciate you using your forum to express yourself openly and honestly, though such a difficult thing for most people to do. You have allowed and challenged yourself to be vulnerable in ways readers/subscribers can only imagine, and I guarantee that this will continue to bring you both clarity and acceptance as you continue.

As a psychologist, I really appreciate you bringing attention to psychotherapy not as a weakness, but as a tool to learn more about yourself and to be better to yourself. I hope that what you have learned about yourself thus far in therapy has been beneficial!

on January 7, 2013 Kasey (@bastylefilegirl) said:

I’m happy you got the kind/and qualified ear you needed. So many people love to throw stones living in a cheap ass glass house, and hide behind the internet. I can go on a rant as you know, but I’ll refrain and continue to with you and Curlbox all the best!

on January 8, 2013 Carmen said:

Wishing you all the best for 2013. And as you know all to well; haters gonna hate!

There is enough for all us…if we want it! One day people will release that they are only blocking their own blessings when they say mean things.

Over and out

on January 25, 2013 Dawn said:

Myleik, I have had the pleasure to meet you and as a business woman I find you to be a source of much inspiration for me and my team . Thank you for sharing your growth and your truths with us . I love CURLBOX and will toast the birthday of a brand I hope continues to grow even more successful in 2013.

on February 5, 2013 L'Oreal said:

Amen!!!! My dear I have recently begun to follow you on IG and Twitter. Simply put…I’m inspired!!!! Your words, experiences, and strength moves me. It excites me to see another woman providing such a much needed product for others, and mentally stimulating them at the same time. I wish happiness, peace, and good blessings on all that you aspire to accomplish! Remember to smile every single day!!!

Hopefully one day we can meet and have a glass of champagne together…Stay well girl!

on February 23, 2013 Peggy said:

I’m new to curl box , trying to be a member. I hv heard since great things about curl box, looking forward to being a member.